Re: Vanishing web design careers...

by Eliza and Zoe <halywn(at)xenon.net>

 Date:  Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:05:55 +1000
 To:  "Garbanga" <webmaster(at)spelaean.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:58 9/06/99 -0700, Garbanga wrote:

>The only people making money nowadays are
>advertising agencies.  That's who you go to.
>I hate to say it, but porn is really the only thing
>making money off the internet (this excludes sites
>that are simply an online source for an already
>successful product), and I don't think anyone
>(myself included) wants to exchange integrity
>for an extra buck.

Interesting point of view, and you are intitled to your opinion, but I'm
afraid you are taking the shallow view.

Marketing on the internet is in it's baby stage still.  There is no way of
knowing where it will be in 10 years time. Look at 10 years ago - look at
now - see a difference?

Think of the yellow pages.  There are companies out there that say "I don't
get any response from my yellow pages ad" but two points here 1) how do
they KNOW?  Unless they ask every person who phones with an enquirery where
they got the phone number from it's my bet that quite a few are phoning out
of the yellow pages and 2) they don't stop advertising in the yellow pages
regardless.

I know some people who, before purchasing ANYTHING, look to see if the
company has a web site.  If the company does not have a web site, they
figure that company isn't up to date and go elsewhere.  I don't do that
here in Australia yet, because we are a bit behind America in web presence,
but still - to use my analagy of the YP, I wouldn't buy off anyone who
didn't have an ad in the Yellow pages, figuring them to be "fly by nite"
and probably not really trustworthy.

So, having an site on the web might not bring you money directly.  Very few
sites I do actually have credit card or shopping facilities - most are more
like "HERE WE ARE!!!  THIS IS WHAT WE DO!!!" type ads.

Eliza