Re: Painful clients [was Webmaster or Web Designer]

by Eliza and Zoe <halywn(at)xenon.net>

 Date:  Sat, 12 Jun 1999 18:25:24 +1000
 To:  "L. J. Durham" <taliesinmedia(at)yahoo.co.uk>,
Michael Boyer <galdor(at)vaix2.net>,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:03 11/06/99 +0100, L. J. Durham wrote:

>I calmly walked out at 4:45 this afternoon leaving his lordship "THE
>Designer" (I dont rank I guess) to sort out his own mess.

I almost walked out on a client yesterday - but I didn't, and now I have to
spend more time with him sorting out his site and I'm not really happy
about that either.

The problem was one that I'm sure is relatively common - he "fiddled" with
the website (using netscape composser) and is under the opinion that he can
do web design.  He wanted me to tell him why the mouseovers no longer work
(he had changed the size of the image width and height).  We discussed
things.  He got angry.  I said "why are you angry with me?" he replied
"because I'm the customer and you are arguing with me."  Another 1/2 hour
of similar  I was almost in tears.

How do I handle this?  The deal is that I work at home (travel to this
place is over an hour each way).  He wants me to work in house, dispite the
fact he has no graphics programs.  The only thing I can think of is to
double the amount I charge for working in house to discourage him - and it
might discourage him from "fiddling" and then having to get me in to fix
things again!

Anyone else had experiences like this or any advice for me?

Eliza