Re: New Page deisgner?

by Sandy Allen <april(at)cellphone.com>

 Date:  Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:21:46
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ok..I've been 'lurking' for a long, long time.  So, 'hello' everyone.
Here's my opinion about the tread.

I've been doing 'this' for about 4 years.  I started out doing html in
emacs, before there was a Netscape, etc and there was only Lynx to view
pages.  I've tried, basically all of the html editors, hoping there was an
easier way.  It's been extremely hard to keep up with the technology.  But,
I've found nothing that can substitute for manual html programming.  No
matter what I use, there are always 'bugs' that require manual html
knowledge. A program can only do so much, no matter which one you select.
In other words, the software is only as 'good' as it's user.  Whether you
buy a $500 package or a $25 package, your html can only be as good as what
you learn.  Basically, people suggest programs based on their own
expertise.  I could tell you my preference is 'Always Relality' from many
years ago.  And, my employee can tell you she prefers an html editor by
Corel.  And, either could be fine for you, depending upon how much you want
to learn, or if you just want it to be easy.  The point being, learn your
own html, then decide on a program that benefits you.  You will have less
problems and have the knowledge of which ones can make the task simpler.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

Sandy

At 12:05 PM 12/16/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I find that most of the wysiwyg editors are fairly easy to master, but
>produce lengthy, and often incorrect, code with long download times. Even
>when I use Front Page for typing intensive pages, I generally go into a
>"real" editor and clean it up. I also find that most, like Front Page, tend
>to be browser specific.
>Dan Fleming
>On 12/16/97 11:42:02 you wrote:
>>
>>I'd have to agree - Homesite is a great product (which I use faithfully),
>>however it is not a drag&drop editor. You have to actually write the HTML.
>>I didn't write this to insult anyone, but I was under the impression that
>>the question was for a WYSIWYG editor... I'm not actually sure how I got
>>that impression *shrug* but just wanted to clarify that...
>>
>>I wonder if I just made any sense at all... *ponder*
>>
>>Kim
>>

>>> Homesite 3.0 is by far the best web creation software out on the market
>>> today, IMHO.  I've long sung the praise of Homesite since the 2.0
>version,
>>> however, they have outdone themselves with the 3.0 version.  You can
>>> download a 30 day demo with all the functions of the retail product at
>>> http://www.allaire.com.  The retail price is about $89 but worth it.
>>>
>>> Ken

			EAST COAST TELECOMMUNICATIONS
Complete Internet Marketing Service	Connecting Your Business to the World!
6610 Jarvis Road			For Additional Info Contact:
Sarasota, Florida 34241			Sandy Allen
(941) 921-2137		    		april(at)cellphone.com
Member of HTML Writer's Guild		http://www.gate.net/~april