Re: making multiple colours transparent in gifs

by Chris Messina <cmessina(at)sandstormpublishing.com>

 Date:  Mon, 16 Feb 1998 21:14:12 -0500
 To:  Michael Abramovich <mabram(at)balance.com.au>,
bassmstr(at)westol.com
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I've anotehr addition to this post: Photoshop's GIF89a pulgin will allow
you to use multiple colors for transparency when you export. In terms of
"levels of transparency," isn't the PNG format supposed to allow that?

At 10:43 AM 2/17/98 +1100, Michael Abramovich wrote:
>I've stayed out of this thread, but have noticed an obvious misconception
>amongst many of the postees.
>
>>Steve Bassler and lots of others wrote:
>
>>You can only choose one color to be transparent,
>
>This is not true. You can make as many colours as you like transparent.
>
>They are, as everyone correctly states completely transparent, there are no
>levels of transparency, but it seems that lots of people are unaware that you
>can make more than one colour transparent. This misconception probably comes
>from the programs people use to make their gifs transparent. Photoshop,
Picture
>Publisher etc omly allow you to choose one colour to be transparent, and thus
>most people think that is all you can do. If you go to PhotoImpact from
Ulead,
>you will find in the Gif smart saver that you interactively choose as many
>colours as you like and see a real time preview as you choose them. You can
>also "unchoose" them. It is a great tool no self respecting webbie could
>possibly be without. I believe it can be used as a plug in for Pshop as well.
>
>- Michael A

Chris Messina
Sandstorm Publishing
http://www.sandstormpublishing.com