Follow-up: [Photoshop] Non-angular corners

by Brian <brianj(at)ais.ais-gwd.com>

 Date:  Mon, 23 Feb 1998 00:11:46 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Drewsey(at)aol.com wrote:

>Simply make the rectangular selection, then under the SELECT menu choose
>MODIFY > SMOOTH.  Choose how much you want the corners rounded and there you
>have it.
--------------

Oh now I *do* feel like an idiot. :\ I use the modify sub-menu all day long
and I never thought to look for it there.

I found that you can make an even better one if you:

[1] Make a rectangular selection.
[2] Select -> Modify -> Smooth (3,4,5 or so)
[3] Fill with your color (I used black).

After that your edges will be choppy, or rather rough, so I did the following.

[4] Filters -> Blur -> Gaussin Blur of 1
[5] Image -> Adjust -> Levels

Work the levels until you bring the edges into a nice, sharp focus.
Once sharp, cut out the center by doing:

[6] Using the selection tool, click on the background.
[7] Select -> Inverse
[8] Select -> Modify -> Contract by 5 or so.
[9] Delete, or fill with the color of your choice.
[10] If you want it any sharper than that, simply adjust the contrast up
50% before you fill the center with color.

Tedious, but it works better.

Thanks folks (Sam, Greg, Drew) for giving me a great head start :)
Maybe I even made it a bit better. :)

brian j. | fusion web design
freelance graphic designer/web developer
fusion(at)greenwood.net
<http://www.ais-gwd.com/~fusion>
[i.c.q. 1057986]