Re: My own answer

by Armando Luna <mando(at)rgv-online.com>

 Date:  Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:32:12 -0500
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:45 AM 25/04/98 -0400, Yvette Verwer wrote:
>I ask for support on the look of images in Adobe's Image ready. I just
>found out I had to change the colour range of the monitor from 8bit to 16
>or 24 bits. I changed it to 24 and it works perfect. Only Remaining thing
>is I don't realy know what I changed. Will things work slower now? It looks
>beter to me 24 bits and millions of coulors instead of 8bit 256 colours,
>but then who am I, just a newbe in graphics,used to work on paper, but
>already loving HTML within two weeks.

Yvette, the reason your images looked so bad in 8bit is because ImageReady
is not yet complete and doesn't really support 8bit yet:

"We do not have special support yet for 8-bit display screens, so please
run ImageReady in 24-bit (millions of colors) or 16-bit (thousands of
colors) mode. (8-bit display mode will not crash ImageReady, but it will
not look at all good.)"

As far as your machine running slowly, I think it depends on your system.
On my computer, the difference in screen redraws isn't noticible at all.
Some games don't like 24bit though, and you may see a difference in video.

However, on both Macs and PCs, it simple to switch back and forth between
the different modes. On the Macs control strip you can switch your video
mode, and on the PC (assuming you're running Win95) you have an option to
show the monitor icon next to the system clock, from where you can switch
modes at will.

Hope this answers some of your questions!

Armando