Re: FAQ's on what's used

by Chris Messina <cmessina(at)sandstormpublishing.com>

 Date:  Mon, 25 May 1998 10:38:42 -0400
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>If one of you really has the time to do this, how about some suggestions to
>newcomers about how to search the archive? You could even have a list of
>common topics and how to search successfully on them. That way, newbies will
>get the latest comments. If they still can't find what they want, then they
>might have a genuine unanswered question, of interest to all. A side benefit
>would be to have a standardized way to refer to things, so the archive will
>become more searchable. For example, you could have a topic such as
>"browser-safe pallette", see also web-safe colors, 216-color, hex codes, and
>so on. The first topic wording would be the most commonly used version of the
>topic and best way to search.

It sounds like this FAQ idea is turning into a webdesigner's Designopedia.
I like the idea of aiding in the searching process... Why not have
different FAQs set up for each List and then after a search box, list some
of the FAQ... as such (small eg.):

 ____________

Web-safe colors...
     216-color, hex codes, Netscape palette

Another Broad Subject/Question...
     Related topics...

And so on.

That way peopel would have ideas about not only how to phrase their
questions, but perhaps it will give them a better idea of exactly *what*
they're asking!

So that's my contribution; I think the FAQ is a good idea, and may become
something of an undertaking we can all contribute to!

Chris Messina
Webmaster -|- Sandstorm Publishing
http://www.sandstormpublishing.com
http://www.sandstormpublishing.com/thecloset