Re: Resolution size

by "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <webmaster(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Mon, 06 Jul 1998 19:02:40 -0400
 To:  "Jack Weaver" <jackw(at)ibm.net>,
"hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ok, I stuck my nose in without offering anything actual _constructive_ so
I'll add this:

As a "general rule" if you will design your pages with valid HTML and don't
allow _any_ content element, or combination of elements to exceed 450
pixels in width you will find that except on the postage stamp size palm
tops screen, your stuff will show just fine. Even on those itsy-bitsy 11
inch MAC monitors set at 480X640, without having to scroll sideways.

BTW - I didn't make that number up. If you would care to go to the archives
this topic has come up _numerous_ times and consistently this has "proven"
to be an excellent "common denominator".

HTH,
Fuzzy

At 05:41 PM 7/6/98 -0400, Jack Weaver wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:45:00 EDT, SARidder(at)aol.com wrote:
>
>>I have a question about window size.  If I go to yahoo on 640 x 480
resolution
>>or 1024 x 768 (or even higher) resolution, the content always fits on the
>>browser.  What "trick" are they using in the code?  I never have to scroll
>>sideways.  AND, even if I go from full screen to a size half that size, it
>>automatically corrects itself.  What's going on?
>
>Your browser is adjusting the text lines to fit the window size.  You can get
>somewhat the same effect if you reduce your window size while displaying a
>page.  However if the html file has garphics or such in it that force a
>specific witdh these adjustments will not work correctly.
>
>Jack Weaver				|| TROPICON XVII -  Nov 13-15, 1998
>South Florida Science Fiction Society	|| Guest of Honor:  Neil Gaiman
>jackw(at)ibm.net				|| Visit TROPICON's Homepage at
>http://fanac.org/sffandom		|| http://scifi.squawk.com/tropicon.html

Captain F.M. O'Lary
(yes, one of the now infamous: "O'Lary Boys")
webmaster(at)canopy.net
sysop(at)mail.ruediger.leon.k12.fl.us
Member of the HTML Writers Guild and
International Webmasters Association