Re: Printing

by "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <webmaster(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Mon, 06 Sep 1999 12:45:27 -0400
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Carol,

Here's a tip based on my own personal opinion and experience:

Resolution = quality

I don't mean the 1400X1040 mentioned recently (wasn't it the Mavica's
'advertised' resolution?), I mean the 600X600 - 1200X1200 *DPI* kind.

Assuming you have a decent printer (most ink jet's these days) it's all in
the DPI. Strictly as something I have noticed in my own work (I do some
output for professional printing) is that my average 4X6 inch (and
sometimes 3X5) printed _photographic_ image averages around 48-65 MEGABYTE
in file size. Yes, that means I scan them high, I adjust them high and I
avoid .jpg like the plague (hey, it IS a 'lossy' format!).

As a side note (before someone starts hollering): be aware that what a
service bureau calls 300 DPI and what 'we' call 300 dpi is about a zillion
dpi apart!!! They use a *way* different way of counting than 'we' do -
trust me, you take an image to a service bureau scanned at 300 dpi on your
machine and you are going to get a blob of featureless color on a piece of
paper back!

Again, my personal opinion: You did hit the nail on the head - THIS is
where Photo Shop is solid gold. If you have taken the time to go through
the calibration adjustments in it's preferences NOTHING you can buy can do
a better job of getting that image to the printer and then out onto paper
in the manner that you expect.

I hope this is some help, even if only to stimulate further thought and
discussion.
SeaYa,
Fuzzy

At 10:02 AM 9/6/99 -0500, Carol Parent wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>This is nuts.  How does one print out a graphic?  I have just begun to see
>that Printing graphics is a whole skill all unto its own and I am running
>out of ink here.  All I want to do is take a logo that I have scanned in and
>print it out so that it looks just as clear and clean as it does on paper
>that I scanned it from.  This must be why Desk Top Publishers are in a
>different category then Web Designers<smiles>  Does anyone know of any good
>tutorials on designing graphics for print?  What software do you use for
>graphics for print?  This must be where Adobe comes in.
>
>Regards,
>
>Carol Parent
>parent(at)djam.com
>http://www.cbwdesign.com