Large images and logic - according to Fuzzy

by "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <webmaster(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:00:39 -0400
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Andy (et al),

I gotta throw in my (twenty) two bits here.

At 08:39 AM 9/15/99 -0700, andy dunbar wrote:
>caching images is the best way to go definitely! ;)
>even so far as to cache larger images (but not display
>them) on previous pages which have little or no
>graphical content (use an onload command linking to a
>caching script)

Ok, I'm with you on that one.

>I've heard it said that you should have to wait for a
>page longer than you can hold your breath.

Bummer. As I don't have much of a life I do a lot of swimming and
free-diving is a hobby. I can hold my breath well over three minutes on a
bad day. you are NUTS if you think I'm gonna wait that long for any page -
there are *way* too many options on the web to sit there for several
minutes holding my breath waiting for a page to load!  (don't flip on me
yet Andy there is a method to my madness read on . . .)

>but truth is unless its a commercial site, people will
>wait if they are interested in the content.

Well, I have to admit, at about 4 minutes I pass out. So I guess I would
(indirectly and unwillingly) wait.

>Like the man says...just don't go overboard!

Now, we're getting to the point. 'Overboard'. In *my* opinion three minutes
is way,way,way too long to wait for a page. This person sitting behind me
says; Fuzzy, you are NUTS. **Normal** people only hold their breath for 1
1/2 to two minutes max - that- is not too long to wait for a page!

Now the core of the point (had to get there sooner or later!):

Demographics. The golden rule of the web design industry (should be)
whether you are doing code or graphics or writing text. Find out who your
audience is BEFORE you ever begin conceptualizing a site (or page) and
design for that audience.

*Real* fast and easy example:

Elementary school web site:
Average attention span of viewer: 8-10 SECONDS, average reading level: 3rd
grade, average viewing platform: NON_power MAC, Netscape 2.0, 10-BT
Ethernet connection. Primary site use: reference and research

Gamer Web Site:
Average attention span of viewer: 8-10 seconds (ok, so that's not much
different ;-)), average reading level: 9-10 grade, Average viewing platform
Pentium 50000MHZ, 40MB zipzoom hyper video card and 48 inch monitor with a
56K or better connection.

At least in my tiny mind these two sites *should* be as different as night
and day! While the elementary kids LOVE animation and fancy scrolling stuff
and lots of sounds and pretty pictures, reality is they have already lost
interest before that stuff has loaded (I see it 100 time s day!). A Gamer
EXPECTS to see all that stuff and while it's a real strain on them, that
*are* willing to wait for it, and will (probably) not buy your stuff or
play your games if you don't give it to them.

Same concept holds true whether you are selling stick matches or music
videos, or real estate.

I hope:
This helps.
It stimulates more discussion, although as far off topic as I have wondered
I expect to get executed by the list guides (I love punishment!) .

Have a happy evening all.
Fuzzy
Captain F.M. O'Lary
webmaster(at)canopy.net