Re: Large images and logic . . .

by "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <webmaster(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:22:19 -0400
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
You know, you are exactly right Andy: "you can do a lot within 10k"

Two things come to mind here I would like to share:

1) Skill.
You can NEVER know too much about web graphics and your imaging programs.
Take the time to learn your craft - it'll _really_ pay off in the long run.
I've ben doing web imaging for _years_ now, and I DO learn new things on a
frighteningly regular basis.

2) Click here to. . .

This is probably my favorite "trick". It seems to be popular with my
customers as well. Here's the scoop: On 'image intensive' pages I process
the images in two sizes, one a little bigger than "normal" and one smaller
than "normal". Put the smaller image on display with a link to the larger
version with text under it (or in a color bar on the page near the top)
saying -Click on the image for a larger view-.

Think about that one, it OBVIOUSLY helps 'speed up' the page, it gives you
more room to do layout (screen real estate), the viewers that _want_ to
wait for a big 'ol image can, without penalizing the 'just give me the
info' folks. Same concept for sound: Click here to hear the music, video;
To see the worm wiggle click here . . . you get the idea.

A risky personal opinion: This is WAY better than Java Script 'tricks'( to
pre load or cache) for the majority of people. The painful truth is *most*
folks don't know enough about Java Script to write safe scripts - using a
WYSIWYG script builder? Think about it: WYSIWYG HTML editors are pretty
universally known (by professional developers) as poo-poo. What makes you
think that if they can't get something a simple as HTML right they can do
any better with Java Script? - humph, 'canned' scrips scare me to death!

Ok, another installment completed in what must be as scary to some as
canned scripts are to me: Logic by Fuzzy.

SeaYa,
Fuzzy

At 01:11 AM 9/16/99 -0700, andy dunbar wrote:
[. . .]
>But....that doesn't mean that a site should look crap
>just because it has to be fast - you can do a lot
>within 10k

Captain F.M. O'Lary
webmaster(at)canopy.net
sysop(at)mail.ruediger.leon.k12.fl.us