Re: Looking for Heiroglyphic graphics

by Kyle Matthews <jits(at)ihug.co.nz>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Apr 1999 23:46:34 +1200
 To:  kdsell(at)surfsouth.com,
Graphics HWG <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Kinda. I've been looking at this question, as I'm looking to know the
screen size roughly, and alter some things in general depending on it.
screen only works in 4+ browsers however, so you miss out on a sizeable
portion of the market - not just with pre-4 browsers, but with javascripts
that aren't running

my redevelopment of my personal site, when it's done some time in the new
millenium (the way I'm going), uses this, but has a nasty hack for pre-4
browsers which basically puts images of different widths on their screen
and asks them to click on the one furtherest to the right without scrolling.

i think it's something which won't be reliable for a couple of years, when
99% of users will be on browsers that support it. which is around the time
that my site will be ready ;-)

Kyle

At 11:14 PM 4/10/99 -0400, Keith wrote:
>There is a site that is under development that I happened across during
>some of my occasional "type in a random URL and see if it's valid"
>surfing.  The site is "www.onlinegames.com".  I noticed that the html
>contains the following lines:
>
><!--
>bw=false; if(typeof screen) { if(screen.width>=1024) { bw=true;
>document.write("<table width=730\x3e<!--"); } } //-->
>
>(There are also related lines of script further in the page)
>Is this a way of presenting a web page optimized for the user depending
>on what resolution he/she is using?  If so, this would be ideal, IMHO ,
>for ensuring that a site is presented as we intend it to be to a user
>regardless of his/her screen resolution.
>
>Any ideas or responses on this, group?
>
>Keith D. Sellars
>www.webgraffix.com

				    Kyle Matthews