Re: hwg-graphics-digest V1 #76

by wmbaum(at)primary.net (WMBaum)

 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 1998 23:38:58 GMT
 To:  editor(at)netwwworks.com
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Picked this up in the digest version and hadn't looked before..

Yes, I think they are too slow.. Maybe partially due to design, but mostly
just because they aren't compressed properly...

In http://www.netwwworks.com/98etc/2feb/ for instance.. The sonny.jpg is
over 30k and it easily compresses to less than 10k with no noticeable loss
in quality.. The background hand.gif should be a jpg and I got it to about
7k (from 40k) still looking very good..

Download a trial of the Ulead SmartSaver...

The 70k banner is fairly well optimized for what it is, but if the
animations could share a background you could just overlay the words and
save a chunk of space..  Animating parts of images is a little tricky but
it can be done..

--Bill