Re: Animated gif with multiple links

by uncle-joe(at)worldnet.att.net (Joe Carson)

 Date:  Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:26:24 GMT
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  jane(at)web.net
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:19:47 -0800, you wrote:

>Jane Will wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to make an animated gif link to more than one URL.
>> The animation is similar to the one on the bottom of the  Microsoft
>> site

>I don't think it's possible with an animated gif. =20

>Michael

I agree with Michael. I don't think it can be done because the image
would somehow have to be mapped, and that takes only dimensions into
account. As Michael said,  ASP would be the best option. But if you
don't have ASP support on your server, and don't want to deal with
cgi, there is a way to do it sideways if you work well with frames.
You can make an invisible frame the same dimensions as the picture.
Using meta-refresh, you can then put each component of the animation
on a seperate page to be loaded within that frame. The meta-refresh
will  flip through each page like an animation book. Of course then
you will be able to place a seperate link for each piece on the
seperate pages.

Obviously this isn't the most desired way to accomplish the effect,
but it's the easiest work-around I can think of. I haven't done this
for a while, so I'm afraid I don't currently have a page to show you
as an example. But I have used this method in the past. Hope it helps.
BTW....take into consideration this will only work with frames capable
browsers.

Joe