Re: Web Graphics Tools/Developer Thoughts

by uncle-joe(at)worldnet.att.net (Joe Carson)

 Date:  Sat, 14 Feb 1998 03:31:54 GMT
 To:  pstrohl(at)cybernautics.com (Philip Strohl)
 Cc:  HWG-GRAPHICS(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:49:01 -0800, you wrote:
***snip***
> I'll be the
>first to admit that I'm speaking from limited experience so let me know =
if
>you feel differently, but it seems to me that the majority of tools for
>designing Web graphics aren't really designed or optimized for Web
>developers.=20
***snip***

Hi Phil,

I think that the biggest difference between what you are used to, and
what you will be doing now is file size. We often have to sacrifice
some quality for a smaller file size which equals faster loading time.
As far as the constraint of the tools.... I believe we probably use
most of the same tools you currently use, with one or two more thrown
in for optimization or animations. But on the other hand, you won't be
doing 4 color seperation (as needed for print) so you are just trading
the seperation step for the optimization step. I do most of my work in
Photoshop  using the standard plugins (eye candy, kai, actions, fx
filters, etc) then export my work to Ulead Smart Saver for web
optimization (compression). It all seems pretty seamless to me. But I
didn't get involved with computer graphics until a couple years ago
when I started doing web work. So this is all I'm used to...
graphically speaking. :-)

Joe