Re: making multiple colours transparent in gifs

by uncle-joe(at)worldnet.att.net (Joe Carson)

 Date:  Tue, 17 Feb 1998 02:49:10 GMT
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "Tom Anderson" <tanderso(at)stevens-tech.edu>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:19:36 -0500, you wrote:
>Programs that let you choose many colors to be transparent are simply
>tricking you.  When you select multiple colors, the program simply makes
>them all the same color, and then sets that color to be transparent.  =
You
>actually lose the color information for all of the other ones.

Yes, that is the trick behind the magic. Maybe we are just splitting
hairs here on how we refer to the process, but then maybe we aren't.
Do you know of any problems that creates? If you are changing the
colors to the default transparency color by choosing them for
inclusion, are you aware of any shifting in the web browser etc? The
obvious solution to the loss of original color information would be to
keep a backup. But have you noticed any problems when using these
types of gifs on a web page? Personally, I haven't so far....but there
is always a first time for everything.

Joe