Re: puzzled with a problem

by wmbaum(at)primary.net (WMBaum)

 Date:  Sat, 28 Mar 1998 22:09:21 GMT
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Karen McClelland <kmc(at)eskimo.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:42:29 -0800, you wrote:

>My question is does anyone know how to make the jigsaw puzzle effect in PSP.
>I really need to know how, as I have a client making this as a specific request.

I realize this question was a while ago, and I'm no expert, but this may work
for you..

Scan the back of a jigsaw puzzle or otherwise create an image of the lines and
apply the embossing filter..

Apply the lines image to the original image as a mask.  Adjust the gamma
correction by, say 0.80 and then invert the mask and readjust the gamma
correction by 1.25.  This should give you the original image textured with the
pattern of the jigsaw puzzle lines.  To enhance the effect, either do it
again, or start over and use larger gamma values, say .5 and the 2.0.  You can
even try as much as .25 and 4.0..

I was playing around with this.. I took a piece of paper and crumpled it up
and then scanned it.  With this technique I was able to apply the crumpled
look to a scanned photograph..

--Bill