Re: Hardware Recommendations

by tim(at)ringsoft.demon.co.uk (Tim Whitcombe)

 Date:  Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:39:36 GMT
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:56:31 +1100, you wrote:

>Somewhere to start...
>Good PII motherboard (Gigabyte, and Intel can fit here)
>PII 400MHz or whatever you can afford
>128MB RAM
>Matrox Millenium G200 AGP 8MB

Regarding graphics cards, (for PCs) I've noticed there are now some
versions that come with 32 meg of memory. (For example ATI's latest).
My current card has 8 meg, which gives me 32 bit colour at 1280 x
1024. Is there REALLY anything to be gained from all that video
memory? Or is it only put to proper use in games ?

To stay on topic... my 21" monitor is probably the best investment in
h/w I've made. At least it didn't get superceded after 6 months...

Tim.
            http://www.ringsoft.demon.co.uk/index.htm
  Home of the Man band homepage - as recommended by Q magazine
and the Packers page - recommended by the Green Bay Press-Gazette