Re: Color shift examples

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <berlar(at)generation.net>

 Date:  Sat, 17 Oct 1998 15:58:27 -0400
 To:  kpurtell(at)unicom.net
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Keith,

I did some tests with your gif files and arrived at the same conclusions.
There is no difference between the background color of the HTML and the
background in your grey gif in Netscape 3.04 and 2.02.  There is a slight
difference in IE 4.01 and a huge one in Netscape 4.5 PR2 (I don't have
4.07).  NS 4.5 displays the grey background of your gif with a very
greenish overtone on my monitor.  In IE it's the HTML background that seems
a little greenish but to a much lesser degree.  For what it's worth, both
Mosaic 3.0 and Opera 3.5 beta9 display the file the same as IE: with the
HTML background a little darker or "greener" than the gif background.  The
other picture looks fine in all browsers for me.  I really know of no
solution for this problem.  I checked your gif in Photoshop and the
background is indeed exactly 204,204,204 (RGB).  I used the hex equivalent
of #CCCCCC for my test file. =20

Sorry I couldn't help!

St=E9phane Bergeron