Re: text clarity?

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <berlar(at)generation.net>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:13:29 -0500
 To:  Karen Pickel <pegleg(at)rapidnet.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:02 PM 26/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Now, I have a
>problem with the clarity of some text.  I am working
>in Photoshop4 and have some text that is NOT clear.
>I tried turning anti-alias off and it gets jagged - not
>acceptable, tried to sharpen - not acceptable either!
>I figure I need to work the text in something like=20
>Illustrator or Corel draw to get the clarity I want at
>the small size then import to Photoshop? =20

What resolution are you working at?  I try to start working on all my
images at least at a 150dpi resolution and most often as high as 300dpi.
When you save to Gif this will be dropped to 72 dpi automatically but at
least you keep the better resolution until the end and you can use the
sharper Photoshop .psd file for printing the cards.  I always keep the high
resolution version of my Web graphics saved in the psd format so I can
reedit them later if I need to.

The client=20
>also (this morning) told me that this will be printed=20
>on business cards etc...I KNOW that in it's present state
>this won't work.Sooooo, I guess I better learn Corel draw or Illustrator
>quick like? =20

You will definitely get sharper print results with Illustrator especially
on a postscript printer and to get even better result use QuarkXpress.

BUT (here's the question) can I get the same
>graduated color as in the word "webdesign" that I have
>as shown with Corel or Illustrator?  I hope yes, but thought
>I would ask you experts with these programs!  Thanks.....

You can definitely get the same result in Illustrator (and probably in
Corel Draw but I never touched it).  In Illustrator you can edit the
gradients you apply to an object and fine tune them the same way that you
can in Photoshop.  If you need the specific details just write me privately
and I'll help you.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron