Re: Scanned Image Clean Up

by C and P <enigma(at)netcom.ca>

 Date:  Sun, 03 Jan 1999 03:56:23 -0500
 To:  PaulineDC(at)vni.net
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Can someone please tell me how to clean up my scanned image?

Pauline,
First, the image looks weird on the html page because you have your width
and height tags improperly set.  The actual image size is 350x88 but you
have it set to 400x93.  This causes the image to stretch undesirably.   If
you want a bigger graphic, resize it first in your graphics program.

I have done my fair share of scanning/cleaning of logos and such and I
think the problem you have here is either :

a)a crappy scan
or
b)lousy (read lossy)  compression.

Is this very similar to what the original looks like?  Is it blurry like
the scan is?  What are you scanning?  Paper? Is it glossy?  What resolution
do you scan it at?  How are you compressing/resizing it?  Are you doing
resample instead of resize? Try to stick to resize.

Try again, use a high resolution and resize it carefully, sharpening as you
go.

hth
phil.