Fireworks (Was: Photoshop vs. ImageReady)

by Dan Cash <dmcash(at)facstaff.wisc.edu>

 Date:  Fri, 08 Jan 1999 08:50:13 -0600
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:15 AM 1/8/99 -0500, Dan Gray wrote:
>Fireworks is indeed a cool tool, John.  I spent some time with it early
>on, however, and found the interface to be a bit complex.  I dig
>Fireworks, but I think it's too deep a program for the majority of
>users.  If you're a hardcore graphics junkie, it's very cool.

I'm wondering if you're underestimating most of the users out
there. It took me a couple days to get the hang of it and I'm
still learning, but I find that once you get the "feel" of how
Macromedia does things - which admittedly is not all that
intuitive - things get a lot smoother. A quote from one reviewer,
"It does complicated tasks simply and makes some simple
tasks complicated." seems pretty close to the mark. I don't
believe there is any graphics program out there that does
"everything* the way you'll want it to. For now, I'm very happy
with Fireworks for all those great effects, design, and optimizing,
and Paint Shop Pro for the simple stuff.

As an aside, it'd be nice if Fireworks didn't eat more than half
of my 128 meg of ram right out of the gate, but I guess that's
why I installed it. :-)

Dan