Re: photoshop question about font sizes

by Renee Rosen <renee(at)lechatnoir.com>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:39:48 -0600
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:10 PM 1/13/99 -0800, you wrote:
>okay.. here's the facts...  I've noticed for some time that there didn't
>seem to be any rhyme nor reason to the way photoshop handled font sizes..
>by that I mean that one day arial 10pt is tiny for a 100x100 graphic and
>the next day it is huge!

The apparent size of the font is determined by the resolution. If you view
your image at "print size" or print it, you'll see that the 10pt font is
actually the same size, though on the screen, it will appear to be a
different size when the resolution is set to a different size. In general,
you'll want to create web graphics at 72dpi, and then the fonts will appear
the "same" size.

>I then cut the image down to 125x100 for the buttons.. now font size 4 is
>too large.. and of course adobe won't let me use a smaller font.
>
>I saved the button as a psd, exited adobe, restarted adobe, loaded in the
>psd file and (I was not surprized to find) the size 4 font was still too
>big...
>
>Next I saved the button as a .gif, then restarted adobe.. loaded in the gif
>file, NOW the size 4 font is tiny.. as it should be..

The reason the font is showing up a different size in the GIF file is that
the GIF format doesn't save printing information, i.e., it doesn't save the
dpi and "defaults" to 72 dpi in Photoshop.

>So.. it appears that adobe "remembers" the original file's size in some way..

It's got nothing to do with the original size. It's all based on the
resolution.

>my question.. is there a way to reset that?  put another way, can I reset
>adobe so I can use the psd file to create my buttons?

Change the image to 72dpi after you're finished editing it, and then put in
your text. You can change the dpi without changing the apparent screen size
of the image, though this will change the print size of it. As you're
creating web graphics, however, the print size is irrelevant.

HTH!
Renee Rosen <renee(at)lechatnoir.com>
<http://www.lechatnoir.com>
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
      - Albert Schweitzer