Re: text

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <berlar(at)generation.net>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Jan 1999 06:13:08 -0500
 To:  kpurtell(at)unicom.net
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:29 PM 26/01/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I save it out of Illustrator 7 as an EPS, then when I open the EPS=20
>with Photoshop 4 and get a dialog box for my chosen resolution=20
>within Photoshop, I choose 72 dpi. I did A/B tests using this=20
>method and text generated entirely within Photoshop, which is how=20
>I determined it was better to do all text inside Photoshop.

What you should do is one of those two things:  first is to open your
Illustrator file(.ai) right into Photoshop (yes you can do that).  The
dialog you get is where you choose the actual size you want the image to be
in, resolution, etc.  You really don't need to save it as EPS from
Illustrator.  The second thing is that you can save the same file right
from Illustrator in Photoshop .psd format.  In Illustrator 7 you get a file
with a single "flattened" layer while Illustrator 8.0 will preserve its
layer right into the .psd file.  There is really no need to save in another
"in-between" format.

>I haven't tried doing GIFs straight out of Illustrator, if that's=20
>what you mean. Can Illustrator 8 do that?

Yup!  So can Illustrator 7 actually... choose File/Export, then choose
GIF89a in the formats list.  You get a dialog where you can choose all the
usual GIF files options (transparency, Interlacing, anti-aliasing, etc)  At
this point you can also choose to save your image map info.  Works like a
charm really.  No need to futz with other software although always optimize
my Web graphics with Ulead's Smart Saver Pro before using them.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron