Re: Viewing gif/jps question

by David Moninger <David.Moninger(at)IslandTime.com>

 Date:  Tue, 06 Jul 1999 20:38:52 -0400
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:51 PM 7/6/99 , Sandy Stillwell wrote:
[details snipped]
>Today I got a message back from her that on her site her
>original graphic looks fine but the two I did in JPG looked out of focus???
>She is using AOL, so could it be her browser, ISP, screen resolution or how
>she has her colors set on her computer???   The photos in question are on
>http://www.jps.net/llamajer/bluemoon/
>
>Sandy Stillwell
>Charismatic Llamas
>http://www.eskimo.com/~wallama/
>The Doberman Experience
>http://www.jps.net/llamajer/

Sandy .. the problem is caused by an AOL compression method that poorly
renders jpg's that have been optimized for reduced byte size.  AOL does
provide the user with a option to not use this optimization, but I believe
it's unrealistic to ask visitors to change from default settings.

Therefore, the solution I use is to save your jpgs with minimal compression
- 10 to 20% AT MOST.  I maintain a $4.95 per month AOL account just to
check out images for a couple of clients who are similarily challenged with
the AOL service..

Hope that helps,

david