Re: Explaination of Various Graphics Software

by Kym Jones <kymj(at)airmail.net>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:44:12 -0500
 To:  " Megan " <peacedream(at)hotmail.com>,
DNYCE15(at)aol.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Okay here goes my 2 cents worth...

Firstly, IMHO...comparing PSP with Paint is kinda like comparing a corvette
with a bicycle and it is certainly NOT free. You can evaluate it for 30
days or something and then you have to buy it. You cannot re-download it
and reinstall the evaluation copy...it won't work and I am not even going
to go into the area of "fiddling" to make it work either.  You like
it...you buy it!

Secondly...again IMHO...PhotoImpact is much better for a newbie because it
is much more user friendly. I started out with PSP and it took me months to
get a handle on it. It was very frustrating, but, with PhotoImpact, I
downloaded an evaluation copy and was really surprised at how easy and
straight forward it was.

However, having said that, both programs have different things that I like,
so I bought both but about the only thing that I use PSP for is making
transparencies because it's less complicated and I'm still wrestling with
Smart Saver Pro. Another nice thing about PSP is that most of the Photoshop
plugins are compatible with it, so if I can't get an effect I want with
PhotoImpact, which is rare, I use PSP.

There are tons of tutorials on the Web for both programs and I guess it's
really a matter of personal choice but for ME, PhotoImpact is definitely
the better of the two.

Now, just a final word of warning....

Yes, there are tons of sites that offer free graphics, but be sure to read
the terms of use or you could find yourself in hot water. Make sure that
you understand exactly what you can and cannot do with the graphics that
are offered.

At this point in time, this is probably not an issue, but it pays to be
aware, so that when you become the world's greatest commercial web
designer, you don't get sued from end of the country to the other ...LOL.

Sorry Fuzzy, I'll shaddup now...*grin*

HTH

Kym

At 09:31 AM 10/12/99 -0700, Megan wrote:
>     I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong so here it goes:
>Paint Shop Pro is basically like paint, you remember the program that comes
>with almost all computers?  The difference is that it gives you a choice on
>what kind of file to save it as.  There are more features, but for that, if
>you have the program (which is about 13 megs currently for the evealuation
>program), you can just access the help and start reading the little
>books....
>     OK, now I have to ask the question, do you really have to make the
>graphic yourself?  There are tons of free graphics on the web that are just
>there with people saying to take them if you wish. Here's a site that lists
>some and reviews them.
>http://thefreesite.com/freegraphics.htm
>     If not, then there is also the thing, do you know anyone that has
>knowledge of this sort of thing?  You could quite possibly get them to do it
>for you so you don't really have to worry about learning how if you don't
>want to.
>     Personally, I suggest Paint Shop Pro to make graphics if you must do it
>yourself.  Reason being, it's free & it's not hard to figure out.  It does
>take up 13 megs of space currently though....
>
>Anyway, I hope I helped a little bit!
>~Megan

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/fojo.html

Visit our garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

In conjunction with Makin' Waves Studio
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/index.html