Re: Simple graphics program

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:56:05 +1030
 To:  DScha97041(at)aol.com,
hgquinn(at)attglobal.net,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

I too, in a moment of wanting to drive myself crazy, used PhotoShop with
64meg of RAM and it worked quite happily. I now have 256meg of RAM so I
could probably open it and run it two or three times if I was drunk enough LOL.

I'm not sure that I would be recommending PS or PSP as a "simple" graphics
program. PS, is horrendously expensive and not at all user friendly, PSP is
cheaper but it's not wonderfully user friendly either, particularly if you
know nothing about graphics.

After struggling with both of these programs for a good year, I finally
stumbled over PhotoImpact about fours years ago and I learned more about
using that piece of software in a week than I had learned about either of
the other two in six months.

IMHO, it's much more user friendly and if you can do it in PS and PSP, you
can do it in PI in half the time and with half the effort and the results
are exactly the same.

I produced a .gif for someone just the other day and their comment was "
Wow, that looks great, you must know your way around Photoshop really
well"...and *this* was a graphics person too. I didn't say a word, but it
gave me a good laugh. *Never* assume :)

Why folks have the attitude that if it looks good, well gee, you just
*must* have used the most expensive and "exclusive" piece of software to do
it, I'll never know. It's kinda pathetic that folks whose knowledge of
masks often doesn't extend past Halloween, *insist* that prospective
employees can barndance around Photoshop with their eyes closed.

PI is definitely worth a try if you're new to graphics and you can download
a trial at http://www.ulead.com.

....and nope, I don't work for them, I just *love* their software and it's
my opinion FWIW.

HTH

Kym