Re: 3D Text, 3D Images

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <berlar(at)generation.net>

 Date:  Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:24:54 -0500
 To:  "Scott Desveaux" <sdesveaux(at)usa.net>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:25 PM 11/03/99 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>    Are there any plugins that I can get for PSP 5 (I believe Photoshop=
 ones
>will work) that can create three dimensional text.
>Also, are there any ways to create 3d imges, tutorials on this subject
>possibly?

I haven't tried it with PSP but Xaos Tools' TypeCaster 1.5 is fantastic in=
=20
Photoshop.  It is rather expensive at $199.00 though...  For 3D text I find=
=20
myself relying a lot on Ulead's Cool 3D.  It cost a fraction of the price=20
of TypeCaster and even does animation that you can export as animated gifs=
=20
or.avi files.  TypeCaster on the other hand renders awesome looking 3D=20
text. At high resolution the results are simply stunning.  Its interface=20
can be daunting at first but more than worth the time learning it.  The=20
main drawback is that if you want to change something after rendering the=20
text you have to undo and start over from the point you  last=20
rendered.  You can save presets though.  Unfortunately I don't believe they=
=20
offer a trial version.

Ulead does offer a trial of Cool 3D so you may want to look into it.  It=20
may fit the bill nicely for your needs.  Unlike Typecaster, Cool 3D works=20
with vector like objects you can modify on the fly.  You can apply up to 5=
=20
light sources instead of one for TypeCaster and you can tweak and distort=20
your text in ways not possible with TypeCaster.  Furthermore, you are not=20
limited to text.  Cool3D can import Windows Enhanced Meta Files (.emf) so=20
you can draw an object in Illustrator or Freehand and import it directly in=
=20
Cool3D to give it a 3D appearance, apply textures, animate it and more.  It=
=20
saved the day for me on a project I'm working on now.  The client wanted an=
=20
image of an old key that looked rusty and  that rotated on itself.   I had=
=20
one here but it was small, chrome colored and shiny... ;-)  No problem.  I=
=20
scanned it, drew the outline in Illustrator 8, exported as .emf, imported=20
in Cool3D and gave it a rusted metal looking texture as well as "thickness"=
=20
then animated it. Cool3D comes with a lot of preset textures, pre made=20
objects like gears and arrows, preset lighting schemes, preset camera=20
angles and a lot more.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron