Re: Raster to vector - What's the difference

by Sami Aura <sja(at)saunis.net>

 Date:  Fri, 16 Jul 1999 23:21:37 +0300
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 15:26 16.7.1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone (briefly) tell me what the difference between raster and vector
>graphics is?  If not, just point me to a URL where I can find out.
>
>Thanks!
>______________________________________
>
>Heather Peel                      heather(at)thenetnow.com
>The Net Now                              http://thenetnow.com
>*** Affordable Web Design and Hosting Services***

Hi Heather,

these are from Photoshop 5.0 help files - hope they help you to understand=
=20
the difference between Bitmap and Vector Graphics

---cut---cut---cut---cut---cut---cut

Bitmap Graphics

Photoshop and other paint and image-editing programs generate bitmap=20
images, also called raster images. Bitmap images use a grid (the bitmap or=
=20
raster) of small squares known as pixels to represent images. Each pixel is=
=20
assigned a specific location and color value. For example, a bicycle tire=20
in a bitmap image is made up of a mosaic of pixels in that location. When=20
working with bitmap images, you edit pixels rather than objects or shapes.

A bitmap image is resolution-dependent=97that is, it contains a fixed number=
=20
of pixels to represent its image data. As a result, a bitmap image can lose=
=20
detail and appear jagged if viewed at a high magnification on-screen or=20
printed at too low a resolution. Bitmap images are the best choice for=20
representing subtle gradations of shades and color=97for example, in=20
photographs or painted images

Vector Graphics

Drawing programs such as Adobe Illustrator=AE create vector graphics, made=
 of=20
lines and curves defined by mathematical objects called vectors. Vectors=20
describe graphics according to their geometric characteristics. For=20
example, a bicycle tire in a vector graphic is made up of a mathematical=20
definition of a circle drawn with a certain radius, set at a specific=20
location, and filled with a specific color. You can move, resize, or change=
=20
the color of the tire without losing the quality of the graphic.

A vector graphic is resolution-independent=97that is, it can be scaled to=
 any=20
size and printed on any output device at any resolution without losing its=
=20
detail or clarity. As a result, vector graphics are the best choice for=20
type (especially small type) and bold graphics that must retain crisp lines=
=20
when scaled to various sizes=97for example, logos.
Because computer monitors represent images by displaying them on a grid,=20
both vector and bitmap images are displayed as pixels on-screen.

---cut---cut---cut---cut---cut---cut

--
[ sja(at)iki.fi ] [ http://iki.fi/sja/ ]

There are two kinds of people in the world,  those who believe
there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don't.