Re: Protecting your valuable content...

by Brian Markham <bmarkham(at)home.com>

 Date:  Mon, 01 Nov 1999 01:34:19 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:41 PM 10/31/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I don't know maybe it's me but has nobody thought of just adding their
>URL to the graphic ?
>
>I mean apply text to the graphic so that the text has an alpha setting of
>30-50% so that it will show and be readable but won't detract from the graphic
>and put it somewhere on the graphic so that it would ruin the graphic if
>it was
>removed.
>
>It would do 2 things;
>
>1) deter people from stealing the graphic or
>2) promote your site and/or let others know that the graphic belongs to
>YOU and not
>     to the person whose site it is appearing on.
>
>Sometimes the simplest solution is the most overlooked.

This solution may work, but only to a small degree. Give your image with
transparent text to any expert graphics person with meager skills using
photoshop, PSP and the like, and I'm sure that within an hour he/she can
have your text wiped out without a trace of it having ever been there.

I believe that water-marking is a better solution to this still, because in
the end, the hardest thing to do is to actually seek out and find the
people who are stealing your copyrighted work; once this is done, if you
have your watermark in the image, you will have no problem with proving the
images are yours, etc.

------
Brian Markham
Owner, Elysian Web Design, Inc.