Re: Graphic Software

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Fri, 26 May 2000 01:04:04 -0400
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:31 PM 26/05/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi
>What sort of graphic software would you suggest for an up-and-coming web=20
>designer. I'm currently using photoshop, but is there anything else you=20
>would suggest? Also I'm looking for a 3d image/text program - any ideas?
>Nick Perkins

Well this is a highly subjective call but here's my two cents... hope it=20
helps you.  Of course Photoshop is an amazing program.  It is an amazing=20
piece of software for sure.  But for Web work I find that I'm relying more=
=20
and more on Macromedia Fireworks 3.0.  It has been designed from the ground=
=20
up for Web work but integrates very well with software like Flash and=20
Director too. It might be that I feel more comfortable in a vector based=20
environment personally but what I like about Fireworks is that it mixes=20
both vector and bitmap tools in the same interface in a way that I have=20
never seen done before.  You can create and optimize graphics as well as=20
create animated Gifs and never leave the Fireworks environment.  It's a=20
real time saver for me.  Everything remains editable all the time and you=20
can open Photoshop files and use Photoshop filters and plugins natively in=
=20
Fireworks.  Btw I don't work for Macromedia... I'm just sold to Fireworks=
 ;-)

As for 3D software, the new 3.0 version of Ulead Cool 3D looks amazing to=20
me. I didn't have time to spend play around with it yet but it looks like a=
=20
great upgrade to version 2.5 which I have used more often.  You should get=
=20
the trial and give it a go and see if you like it.  The interface is very=20
different from any 3D program I have seen before.  Like Fireworks it's=20
designed to save you time but gives you a lot of control.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron