Re: Stock Art/Photos Resource Question

by Roxy <4Roxy(at)autumnweb.com>

 Date:  Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:56:13 -0400
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:58 AM 8/17/00, Adams, Lisa wrote:
>I'm looking for a hassle free website where I can download and pay for stock
>art/photos.  The sites that I have seen are expensive and they want to know
>too many details about how I'm going to use their art.  Please send me your
>favorite hassle free sites off the list.

As far as I know, all the reputable stock photography sites NEED to know
information about how you will use the images. You pay a fee based on how
it will be used. Limited use pays lower fee. Generally, that is per the
contracts they have with the photographers.

Picture yourself as a photographer who hires a model, gets the appropriate
releases, does the photography work. Would you *truly* expect a photo
you've taken to be sold for the same amount for both of these purposes? :
part of a national brand's logo which will appear in their printed
material, on TV, on their website, in magazine ads, vs, part of a small
company's hand-out brochure only.

Yes, you will pay a few bucks for the photos. Alternative: hire
photographer, hire model(s), hire lawyer to draw up photographer contract
and model releases that are agreeable to you and them (otherwise they won't
sign/work for you), pay transportation costs if the photos are to be taken
at specific locations, etc. When you weigh what it would cost you to do as
an individual/company arranging for professional photos yourself, compared
to what their purchase price is, the purchase price looks a lot better.

Beware of using photos that appear at "bargain prices" for their usage. How
reputable are they? Are you *sure* they have gotten the proper signed
releases? If your use attracts a lot of attention, and they haven't gotten
the releases or other paperwork done correctly, you could find yourself the
target of a very expensive lawsuit, and a lot of grief you wish you didn't
have.

Roxy