Re: Transparent Drop Shadows

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Jun 2000 10:49:03 -0400
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:00 AM 18/06/00 -0700, you wrote:
>What you ARE looking for, however, is only spotily supported: Transparent
>PNGs using an Alpha Channel for the drop shadow. Unfortunately, PNG
>transparency support is pretty wild right now, as one browser will display
>it correctly, while others (greater or lesser versions of the same browser,
>even) will display seemingly-random backgrounds where the transparency
>should be. Until browser support for transparent PNGs is more widespread,
>you're pretty much stuck with the method described in the first paragraph.

Hi Kehvan,

I was wondering what browser you found that support 32bit PNG files=20
(varying transparency)?  I haven't found any myself (I tried IE 5.5, NS 6,=
=20
NS 4.72 and Opera 4.0 b5, all on Win 98).  In IE, my 32bit PNG test image=20
had a gray background while NS 6 and NS 4.72 both butchered it (you'd have=
=20
to see it to understand what I mean).  Both displayed the 24 bit version=20
with a white background and only IE displayed the 8 bit version with the=20
correct transparency (just like a transparent GIF).  Opera 4.0 displayed=20
all 3 with white backgrounds and none with any transparency.  My test image=
=20
was a simple circle shape drawn in Fireworks 3.0 and heavily feathered to=20
give the edges a sort of gradient like look..  Background was transparent=20
in FW and the image was exported directly from it.  The only applications I=
=20
found that display and support 32 bit PNG files (as well as 24 and 8 bit)=20
are Flash 4.0 and Director 8.0 in which 32bit PNG images work very=20
well.  Made me long for support in browsers... transparent GIFs look so=20
primitive in comparison... ;-)

St=E9phane Bergeron