Re: Fireworks, rotating circular text, and AAGH!

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:39:23 -0400
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:16 PM 22/10/00 +0100, Roger Stenning wrote:
>Hi.
>
>I'm just getting to grips with Macromedia Fireworks, and have hit a snag.
>
>I'm building a logo for a project group, with text in a circle, surounding=
>globe and another logo.
>
>Snag is, despite my best (neophyte, with FW3) efforts, I can't get the text
>to centre on the bottom of the circle. I've uploaded the image in png=
 format
>to a page devoted to this problem, which is at:
>http://www.the-isg.co.uk/mefhcp/index.html. There's also a gif reduction,
>and a repeat of the problem, for your reference.
>
>As you can see, the text flows mid-left, clockwise, round to mid left=
 again.
>What I've been unsuccessfuly trying to do is rotate the text roughly 90
>degrees anticlockwise, so that the asterisk at the left, is instead at the
>bottom.

Hi Roger,

The way to achieve this is to open the Object palette while you have your=20
text on a path selected and play with the text offset value.  I downloaded=
=20
your file and found that a value of -224 centers the asterisk at the bottom=
=20
perfectly.  Another quick way would be to select your text on a path and go=
=20
to Modify>Group then to Modify>Transform and rotate it there.  You'd have=20
to ungroup the object to work on the text again so the text offset method=20
is probably better.  Maybe we'll be able to move text freely on the path=20
like we can in Illustrator when Fireworks 4 comes out... :-)

Btw, if you want to have access to great resources for Fireworks you can=20
try the following URLs:

http://www.projectfireworks.com
http://www.playingwithfire.com
http://comharsa.com/firefaq/

You will find a lot of info about Fireworks as well as addons that will=20
save you a lot of time.  For example, I was able to find the center of your=
=20
graphic easily and add crossing guides at the center automatically by only=
=20
selecting  your circles object and using a command I downloaded that finds=
=20
the selection center and places both horizontal and vertical guides=20
there.  I aligned the asterisk to the vertical guide.  I'll send you my=20
modified version of your file attached to another email after I send this=
 one.

As you learn Fireworks and use it more you'll wonder how you could go=20
without it before.  I have Photoshop here and I barely use it anymore.  For=
=20
Web work, Fireworks is simply the best.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron