Re: P2 Dual Processor 400 vs. AMD 1.3 GIg

by Kimiko Drew <macruimmon(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:07:34 -0700
 To:  "Jacqueline Sylvia" <jsylvia90(at)hotmail.com>,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I think my main topic will be information delivery.
>
>However, I'd like to touch on graphics and related topics during the
>discussion.

Hello Jacqueline,

Perhaps the simplest information delivery. How the right picture is worth a
thousand words, and how the wrong picture or no picture can deliver the
wrong message. And how branding with images can make a difference in
impressions of professional vs amateur.

Two cases in point, one negative, one positive. If I offend with the
negative, it isn't to offend, but to use as a case study. I really do
belive in learning from mistakes, from others and especially from one's own.

I just received a letter from a woman web designer advertising her
business. The letter was fairly plain, nice font, but she used bad clip art
graphics, that didn't convey much about the business and it didn't even
have a personal logo, to identify her as a unique service. Just a sketch of
a woman at a desk, holding a pen in her hand. Oh, and she was trying to
sell her web design book, but no image of that book.

The paper was sent in an plain envelope, hand written address, and not
professional seeming at all. I am trained as a business person, so this
didn't impress me. And that is part of the problem. It should have
impressed me. That letter should have made me want to take the time to look
at her site.

Well, curious as I was about web designers, I explored her site anyway. Not
much there in personal graphics, again more basic clipart that didn't make
her site unique. Again no logo or branding, no visual reason why I should
recommend her services as web designer to my boss. Even worse, no images of
the book she was trying to sell.

Then there was another site I just visited last night. Done in Flash, which
is not my forte. This was well done, emphasized the message they tried to
get across (a renaissance faire) with a simple background image of shield
and crossed sword. It set the mood and tone just right. It let you know
what the site was about, just from those two items. And the text buttons
(with good font choice) and images that came across, explained anything
that you needed to know quickly and efficiently. Excellent site, that I
will try to keep in mind in future concepts.

I guess to my mind, as someone who likes to create graphics for each site I
create, to set mood and to reinforce whatever message I am trying to
convey, if you are going to design a website and use graphics, use them to
reinforce your messages. Make sure they are appropriate, and considering
bandwidth issues, only use what is really needed.

And I guess it should be said. Use a logo or something appropriate, to mark
your site as different from others.

my two yen, whatever that current rate is.

:-)

Kimiko Drew
macruimmon(at)earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~macruimmon/