Re: 72 DPI (ppi) fallacy?

by Greg Hart <ghhart(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Mon, 21 Oct 2002 01:43:37 -0400
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Very good info...one question...

At 03:51 PM 10/20/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Change the web copy's resolution to 72 ppi, then change its display size
>to the size you want.

Since we're dealing with both PC and Macs on the web, why would you not
change to 96 ppi, instead of 72 ppi, especially if you'll be doing more
altering after this? I realize that to the PC users it wouldn't look
different, but wouldn't an image with 72 pixels in each inch have some
distortion on a Mac (like if you have an IMG tag with slightly too big
height/width settings)? I've tried testing the size difference, and it must
be very minimal, since I don't see one even with 1000x1000 images at each
setting. So why not default to the screens requiring more info? Or am I
missing something, and it won't matter at either setting?

- Greg Hart