Re: Urgent Request! Resolution for CD Label

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:57:01 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:55 PM 30/03/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a CD Label that was provided by a user.  The problem is, it is VERY
>low resolution (.jpg at 96 dpi).  The contractor who will be screen=
 printing
>the CDs says it is such a low resolution that the text won't appear.  My
>questions:
>
>- How do I increase the resolution?

The thing is, you can't.  You can always decrease image resolution but=20
never increase it without loosing quality.  You shouldn't use JPGs for=20
print work anyway because it's a lossy compressed format that was designed=
=20
for screen (read low res) display.  You will need the original version of=20
the image and scan it to at least 300 dpi

>- Wouldn't it be possible to take a digital photo of the CD at full size=
 and
>use that (the digital photo of the actual label would have a higher
>resolution than the printed label, wouldn't it?)

As someone else pointed out, that wouldn't work.  No mater how high a=20
resolution you scan that image to, the original will remain a compressed 96=
=20
dpi JPG and the camera or scanner can't add quality that isn't there to=20
begin with.

>- Barring either of those options, couldn't the contractor mask out the=
 text
>on the original graphic/label and insert the text themselves? (Or is that
>too much to ask)?

You could always ask them but that wouldn't change that fact that the image=
=20
isn't of good enough quality to print and it probably wouldn't be worth=20
it.  You will need to start from a better quality copy of the label graphic.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron