Re: Copyright

by Peggi & Ben Rodgers <woodduck(at)mbay.net>

 Date:  Sat, 26 May 2001 10:00:30 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Peter,

I'm not a lawyer, but I am a writer/photographer.  I know that any original
writing and photographs I produce belong to me and are copyrighted as
such.  I do know this is a hot topic at the moment and one large company
(Pebble Beach Company in California) has, in fact, said that photographers
cannot take a photo of a particular cypress tree that is the logo of their
company.  This has created some lawsuits as to whether they have the right
to prohibit photographers from copyrighting photos of a tree (standing on
public property) simply because it happens to be part of their logo.  As
far as I know, to date they haven't won this point.

HTH

Peggi

At 06:29 AM 5/26/01 -0400, Reywob(at)aol.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>When not doing web design I do a lot of model making, and attend many model
>exhibitions.  Recently someone, who I will refer to as Mr X, has been kicking
>up a fuss about people taking photographs of his models he is exhibiting, and
>then publishing them on their websites - crediting the model to him but
>copyrighting the photographs to themselves.  He believes that as it is his
>model shown, he should own the copyright of the photographs.
>
>I always thought that the photographer owned the copyright to the photos, and
>so far my response has been that if Mr X doesn't like people taking photos of
>his models then he shouldn't exhibit them.  Is this correct?  He has
>currently banned people from taking photographs or videoing his layout, but
>still wants the photographs removed.  What is the legal position?
>
>Any advice gratefully received!
>Thanks,
>Peter.

Peggi Rodgers