Re: Flash Less Flashy

by Peggi & Ben Rodgers <woodduck(at)mbay.net>

 Date:  Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:44:20 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Ben,

I'll refrain from voicing my own opinion as to Nielsen's
philosophy.  However, there are probably more sites out there that don't
overdo it with Flash than that do.  You might be surprised to find that
some sites you think are done with JavaScript are, in fact, Flash.  You
might also let your client know that with the new ActionScripting available
in Flash 5 the download times can be substantially faster even on slow modems.

That being said, here are a few links:

http://www.eye4u.com/home/ (take a look at the work they did for Ford)
http://www.popedeflash.com/ (this is a really nice site by a Flash guru)
http://www.walthampizza.com/ (this one ran a little choppy on my 56k modem
after a long download - may now be the best for show & tell)
http://www.flashkit.com/links/Flash_Sites/ (has lots of links of varying kinds)

I'm in the process of revamping mine as it needs some remodeling & I've
renamed the business.  It's really more of a portfolio site, but it's
located at http://www.tide-pool.com if you want to take a look at that.

HTH

Peggi

At 01:46 PM 6/6/01 -0700, Ben Ocean wrote:
>Hi;
>I am looking for some tasteful examples of Flash that are less flashy than
>Macromedia promotes on their site. I'm a follower of Jakob Nielsen's
>philosophy and believe that Flash usually tends to detract from usability.
>However, I now have a client that really does need Flash. Can you folks
>give me a few examples of Web sites where Flash is used yet isn't
>ridiculously overdone to the point of being less of commercial value than
>it is art?
>TIA,
>BenO

Peggi Rodgers