Re: Video Card Upgrade

by Mirella Batista <mbatista(at)yunque.net>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Aug 2002 11:35:18 -0700
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello :-)

If you are using Windows, first check if you really need a card with
multiple monitor support. I set up my two monitors on a Win 98 system by
keeping my AGP card and just getting an additional PCI Video card (with
enough memory) and adjusting the desktop properties. In Windows Help (if
you haven't already done so) do a search for multiple displays or multiple
monitors. This will give you the details for your particular version of the
OS. In addition to two monitors, I've also connected my Win2K laptop to the
Win98 desktop via my LPT1 a parallel cable using Direct Connect (included
in Windows since Win95), so it feels like working with three monitors (and
I share Internet connection between the two PCs)!

Finally, check out this site: http://www.hardwareguys.com and browse
through their recommendations for video adapters (go to *our picks*, then
video adapters). The site supports the O'Reilly book PC Hardware in a
Nutshell. I got the book about a month ago and it has already proven to be
a great investment.

If you are using a Mac, please disregard all of the above ;-)

HTH,

Mirella