Re: Scanner

by Peggi & Ben Rodgers <woodduck(at)mbay.net>

 Date:  Sat, 08 Sep 2001 11:18:04 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Elisabeth,

I have an HP ScanJet 5P color flatbed scanner.  I've had it a couple of
years and have been very happy with it.  I could happily recommend an HP
scanner.  If you have the space, it's best to get a flatbed scanner (do
they even make hand-held scanners anymore I wonder?!) as they are far
easier to use than the handheld models and you'll get a good scan.  Be sure
you get one that will give you high quality, color scans if you plan to do
photos or artwork.

You need to evaluate what you'll be using the scanner for as well.  For
instance, most of the software that comes with the scanners will allow you
to scan either graphics or text, but not both at the same time.  Sometimes
you'll need to upgrade the software to allow graphics and text that are on
the same page to scan properly.  So, for instance, if you're main goal is
to scan text into a word processor, or to scan a photo for posting on the
web (or whatever), the software that comes with whichever scanner you
choose will suffice.  Either way, most software upgrades for the scanners
are not expensive.

HTH,

Peggi

At 07:18 PM 9/8/01 +0200, Elisabeth Poopuu wrote:
>I want to buy a Scanner. With one should I buy?

Peggi Rodgers
Web Developer
Misty Canyon Designs
Pacific Grove, CA