Re: Referral code

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:14:21 -0800
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "Jacqueline Sylvia" <jsylvia90(at)hotmail.com>, Honeywebster(at)aol.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
One caution.

If this particular web page is the main index page for a site, you may run
into problems with search engines and their spiders.  SEs may consider your
main home page/redirect page as bogus, or worse yet, as subterfuge, for
visitors by redirecting to a different home page.  While I have not keep
up-to-the-minute on a daily basis with SEs and their reasons for doing what
they do,  by using a redirect on a home page may cause the site not to be
listed by the SE, or even banned entirely.

Redirect pages are best used for preventing 404 errors as mentioned in the
.htaccess file for Apache sites.  MS web server sites have a similar
redirect system.  The beauty in following this latter option mean you only
have one file per site listing your redirects as opposed to individual
redirect pages.