Re: Re: "Professional" Graphics Programs

by Teresa Knezek <teresa(at)mivox.com>

 Date:  Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:35:34 -0800
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:02 AM -0600 4/4/01, Peggi wrote:
>This sounds as though your printer is using a MAC.

Why? All those programs are available on both platforms.

>In this case you may
>want to use one of the drawing programs that  will export in an "AI
>EPS" format which is reliably readable by the MACs

As a Mac user who's done graphics on Mac and PC, for use on
either/both platforms, I can say that I have never seen an instance
where a Mac couldn't open a file in ANY standard graphics file
format, unless the file was actually damaged.

First, ASK what file format they want. If they give you a list of
*program names* instead of file types, ask again: "No, I need to know
*file format*... do you prefer PSD, EPS, TIFF or some other format?"
If you get the file format right and they have a copy of PhotoShop on
their machine, what platform (Mac or Windows) they're using shouldn't
matter.

However, I sent an image to a PC-based shop in *all* of the above
formats (and PDF to boot), and whatever proprietary software this
particular print shop used, their 'technicians' couldn't open ANY of
the files. I mentioned that I had opened all of them (testing for
damaged files after transferring to Zip disk) successfully in
PhotoShop, and was told, "Oh, really? That must've been the only
program we didn't try to open them with."

Just because it's a "professional" print shop doesn't mean they know
what they're doing, I guess... ;) They tried to charge us for extra
set-up time they spent 're-creating' the files. Make sure they give
you specifics, and that you follow them, and whatever happens, you
won't have to pay for any mistakes they might make.

Just my $.02...

-Teresa