Scanning to Vector vs. Bitmap

by Susan Pinochet <pinochet(at)polaris.net>

 Date:  Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:57:27 -0500
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have a hand drawn logo with gorgeous hand lettering (about 6 inches
square) that I need to use on a web site (and in some print applications)
in a variety of sizes from a full screen to an icon. It is pen and ink line
art. A friend took it to a copy shop (K****'*) to have it scanned and came
back with some tiny (about 1 inch square) TIFF images that are jagged to
begin with and resize poorly to say the least. I'm going to have to have it
rescanned.

I know from the previous discussion that I need vector info but I don't
have any of the software mentioned in that thread. I'm using Clarisworks
(5.0, Mac) for all my graphic work then converting with Graphic Converter
to GIF. When I use clip art in TIFF format it scales well in CW. The clip
art I have is all Photoshop documents saved as TIFF images; so are these
horrid scans.

Whatever, I get has to fit on a diskette. But since most clip art of this
size and complexity is 100k or less, I didn't think that would be a
problem. But the poor quality scan was 390k for the full logo and 130k for
just the image without the text portion. I fear that they only gave me this
level of quality because the next level won't fit on a diskette.

The written instructions she gave the copy shop said "TIFF format with
vector info" and nothing else. I'm assuming there's something else I need
to say to get what I really need, but I have no idea what it is.

What should I ask for? If "copy shop" is the problem, what do I need to
look for to find someone who can do this? Am I going to have to buy a
scanner?

-- Susan Pinochet <pinochet(at)polaris.net>
     home < ... coming soon ... >
   church <http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/5876/>
    pride <http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/9209/>