Re: Scanning to Vector vs. Bitmap

by Susan Pinochet <pinochet(at)polaris.net>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:40:09 -0500
 To:  jayse <jayse(at)earthlink.net>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Many thanks to all who answered my question about vector and bitmap
graphics. Particular thanks to jayse who answered "What should I ask for?"
as follows:

At 10.14 pm -0500 1998.02.25, jayse wrote in part:
>Tell them this so that you have scan you can work with.
>Scan as a "Black and White Drawing".
>In the custom menu of Deskscan, select 'Print Path'. In the following
>dialog box change the 'Drawing' properties to 600 x 600 dpi.
>Close the window.
>Scan the image at 100%
>Once in Photoshop, verify that the 'MODE' is "Bitmap" NOT "Grayscale"
>Save as a Tif file.

I am indeed just in search of a clean resizable scan for use on a web site
I created and maintain on a volunteer basis. We'd also like to use it on
some print documents that I create with Clarisworks so I need to be able to
use it in CW. Other than that, whether it is in a particular format or not
makes no difference to me. But any solution that doesn't require me to
spend money in three figures or work myself to death is preferred. We'll be
trying this first. I'll let you all know how it works out.

I still don't really understand about the TIF format, whether it is a
bitmap format or a vector one or some hybrid. I assume 'Print Path' imples
vector info is included somehow. I know I can easily resize, larger or
smaller, B&W TIFs that come in clip art, so I had thought it contained
vector info. Can any of you theoretical people shed any light on this?

-- Susan Pinochet <pinochet(at)polaris.net>
     home < ... coming soon ... >
   church <http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/5876/>
    pride <http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/9209/>