Re: Help, I'm no printer

by jennifer byrne <jen(at)visi.com>

 Date:  Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:59:25 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Lucinda wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I created a graphic in Adobe Photoshop with a resolution of 72 for a
>non-profit organization.  This is the second time I have done this and the
>first time I had no problems with turning it into the printer and they
>printed the cover for a book from the 72 resolution graphic.  I only work
>in low res because I only work with graphics for the web.  I have no
>printing experience.
>
>This time I'm dealing with a different printer and they said they keep
>getting a bitmap looking graphic with the fonts all jagged.  I suggested
>opening the graphic in Adobe Photoshop and changing the resolution but the
>printer said once it is made in a specific resolution, you can't go in and
>change it.
>
>Is this true?  Do I have to recreate this whole graphic or is there a way
>around this??
>
>Thanks
>
>Lucinda Belden
>Diverse Graphics
>lbelden(at)diversegraphics.com

Hi Lucinda,
If your fonts were jagged, it sounds like the postscript font was missing.
But your printer is probably printing your doc from QuarkXpress.
You can bump up the res in photoshop, but your images could get blurry (if
you scanned in a photo or image). You can't really add info that isn't
there when you scan in a photo. Meaning if you started out with 72 dpi, you
can't bump it up to 300 dpi because you only have 72 dpi worth of info.

But if you created all of the graphic in PS, you should be able to go in
and change the resolution without losing anything.  They must of thought
you scanned it in.   Ask the printer what resolution the document will be
printed at.  Then set the resolution in PS to that amount, then create your
graphic.
Hope this helps.
jen