Re: Transparent GIFS

by "Robin S. Socha" <r.socha(at)control-risks.de>

 Date:  20 Jun 1998 22:40:16 +0200
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
* Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)usa.net> writes:
> At 12:29 PM 6/20/98 +0200, Robin S. Socha wrote:
>> Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)usa.net> writes:

>>> Is there any way I can make transparent GIFS in a mass manner,
>>> like say choose x number of graphics and tell a program to make
>>> them transparent?

>> Got access to a U*ix system? Then this Dirty Hack(tm) will do the
>> trick.

> Well, unfortunately, I don't have access to a Unix system, but the
> idea of macros is interesting.

It's the answer to approx. 99% of all problems in this
world. Unfortunately, the people in Redmond are not interested in
solving problems but in making money.

Well, whatever:

> I had not thought of that. But for some reason I have never gotten
> PSP to save anything as a transparent GIF even if I follow directions
> exactly.

PSP fhpxf. You could save yourself a lot of trouble if you installed
Linux. It's a free U*ix for PCs that comes with much, much more powerful
tools than Windows. PSP doesn't stand the slightest chance against the
GIMP. Add to that shell scripts, NetPBM, ImageMagick and Electric Eyes
and you got more value than $700 would *buy* you. Linux distributions
range from $1.98 to $150 (including commercial X servers and the like)
and comes with webservers, editors galore, c-compilers and so on... Check
<http://www.redhat.com/> if you like.

> I have a util that will make GIFs transparent, but I have to load
> the graphics one at a time.

Not really... *runtocupboard* *graboldunreadbook* Ah - the Mircosoft
SM Dos handbook... let's see... *thumb* *getsick*

"to use 'for' in batch mode, use the following syntax: for %%variable
in (group) do (command)[parameter]"

Stunning. Of course, there is no further information available in this
wonderful piece of documentation. Great. I guess, to use it on the
command line, the syntax would be

	      "for %i in *.gif do giftrans.exe -t ffffff"

Ummmm... I feel slightly nauseous. Maybe a Dos guru could confirm
this.

Robin

--
Robin S. Socha M.A.