Re: Resoultion

by Michael_Beane(at)umit.maine.edu (Michael Beane)

 Date:  Tue, 26 Jan 1999 06:56:08 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
TheWideWeb(at)aol.com,.Internet writes:
>I think this is a major problem in the design community.  People are
>designing
>sites at 800x600 resolution.  This is a really bad choice.  All of the
>new
>computers purchased come with a default resolution of 640x480.
>Visitors do
>not want to have to adjust their monitor settings and many don't know
>how.

You've met my family then?

>I think that this is a vital step.  People must realize that over 50%
>still
>browse the Web at a low resolution.  This is partly due to Microsoft
>shipping
>all of their computers as 640x480 set as default.  Most new computer
>users
>don't even know how to set their resolution.  Others, like their
>computer
>screen bigger.

>Chris Lynch

While it could be argued that newer computers are shipping at 800x600,
it'd be extremely crued not to attempt to cater to the millions of
computers out there that are still running at 640 res.  One of the
things that is apparent to me on my campus is the amount of computers
that are in 640x480.  Funding doesnt grant much in the way of letting
them acquire much more than a basic system.

As much as I like my screen at eyeblistering resolutions, I have to
agree with you.  I've had to learn to produce at 640 and have gotten
far better results since then.  Though my personal page is quite
another matter :-P

Sincerely,
Mike Beane