Re: design resolution question

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:04:58 -0500
 To:  lightstorm(at)jps.net (Alan Wilson),
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>...The reason I'm writing
>is to find out a recommended size to design the splash page at. ... I'd like
>to have the splash page and the main navigation page open without the user
>having to scroll. I thought about designing 640x480 to accommodate most
>viewers but the client thinks that's a bit small. I'm assuming the low end
>would be a power book or 15 inch monitor running 800x600 and 19inch or more
>on the high end. .
>The bottom line, based on what I have at these links, what size would you
>design at?

I wonder why you say, and what you mean by, "the low end would be a
power book or 15 inch monitor running 800x600..."

IF you belive that only an insignificant proportion of the target
audience would be using a 640x480 monitor, then you can go for the
800x600 size.

Keep in mind that these resolutions do not represent the available
space. The operating system grabs some of the pixels: the Mac OS puts
a menu bar at the top, and Windows puts Controls at the bottom .The
browser grabs more space: the amount varies with the browser and how
it's configured.

Conservative figures for the available space:

For 640x480 monitors, minimum available space is about 600x300.

For 800x600 monitors, minimum available space is about 780x390.

Jeff