Re: Simple B&W Question

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:41:17 -0500
 To:  efernsler(at)korora.com,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I've scanned a few B&W pics (8"x11") at 300 dpi.
>I'm using photoshop 4 and Illustrator 7.
>I'm trying to scale the images down to ~200px x 300px or so and then put them
>up on the web.  When I do, they look pretty poor.  I need the images to come
>out very clearly.  I've tried jpg and gif with all sorts of options without
>success.

(1) Since the destination is the Web, you probably can scan the
photos at 72 dpi, since monitors will not show higher resolutions,
and scanning at 300 dpi just creates much larger files.

(2) If it's a typical photograph, you want to output it as a jpeg, in
order to preserve the many colors. Gif will reduce the colors to 256.

You might want to scan the photos in RGB Mode, and then convert the
scanned images to grayscale. It's also possible to fine tune this
process using calculations and channels, but that gets more
complicated.

Jeff